Caregiver Support Mentor with Abbotsford Association for Healthy Aging
Role: the volunteer supports and assists caregivers to fulfill their roles caring for their loved ones as well as maintaining their own self-care. The volunteers will ideally be experienced caregivers (current or former), but we welcome empathetic people, interested in active listening.
The mentors will share caregiving knowledge, resources and experiences to guide a caregiver in their new caregiving role. They will structure the mentoring contacts as works for both them and the caregiver and as they determine to be beneficial. Ideal volunteers will be friendly and caring and be interesting in listening and providing emotional support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with caregivers individually in-person or by phone.
- Provide a listening ear, guidance, recommendations, and suggestions for problem solving and/or resources for specific assistance.
- Share knowledge of health and social service information/ resources and other topics of benefit to caregivers.
- Encourage caregivers to develop specific skills and knowledge that will improve their performance as caregivers.
- Accept peers where they currently are with their life and skills in a non-judgmental manner .
- Provide approachable, warm and courteous relationships.
Ideal Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- Current or previous caregiver/previous experience with caregiving (an asset)
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Maintain collaborative relationships
- Uphold a positive, caring, and empathetic attitude
- Ability to commit to scheduling 4 mentor hours per month in-person or by phone (according to your schedule).
- Current criminal record review.
- Health & Well-Being
- Developing new relationships
- Meeting interesting older adults
- Preventing isolation of caregivers
- Making a difference for caregivers without support
- Sharing your wisdom can help another caregiver’s experience improve
- Being a good listener makes a huge difference in a caregiver’s life
For more information or to apply, please contact Deirdre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-768-5421