About NatureKids BC
NatureKids BC is a registered charity that helps children (aged 5-12) and their families get outdoors to explore, play, learn about and take action for nature. We do this through an award-winning network of nature clubs across BC. Together with our volunteer club leaders, nature mentors and donors, we share a vision of working together to help children develop a love of nature, a lifelong connection to the natural world, and build the environmental literacy and skills to take action for nature.
Volunteer Role Description
As (co)leader of a local nature club, your primary responsibility will be to organize monthly hands-on outdoor field trips, called Explorer Days, for NatureKids members and their families. You don’t have to be an expert in nature interpretation, we can support you with access to nature mentors and partners to help lead events. And, as we focus on families, a parent or guardian will always be present with their children. Events for our clubs typically run on the weekend and are usually 1.5-2 hours. This is a fun and very rewarding volunteer position. You will be supported by a staff team, local nature mentors and a peer network of volunteer leaders from all over BC. You will receive orientation and training and access to all the resources and materials you need to do your job. All our club leaders are volunteers – if you are organized, interested in the environment, and can help organize monthly explorer days this opportunity may be for you!
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Create a welcoming, safe, and fun club!
- Share your enthusiasm for nature and model respectful behaviour outdoors.
- Build Explorer Days (outdoors as much as possible) to help children have fun, learn about, and connect with nature. Explorer Days are typically offered once a month (except during the summer holidays) on a weekend for 1.5-2 hours.
- Communicate with your club members about upcoming events.
- Relay feedback from members and families to staff team
- Take care of basic club administration (for example recording attendance, collecting forms and taking photographs of the event).
- Promote the club in your community and recruit new members using templates and resources prepared by NatureKids
- Reliable and responsible.
- Ability to communicate verbally in English.
- Enthusiasm for nature and being outdoors.
- Familiar and comfortable using computers and email; experience with social media an asset.
- Interest or knowledge in earth sciences/environmental sciences or plant/ animal biology is an asset, but not required.
- A First Aid certificate is an asset, but not required.
- Interested in making a difference and having fun while doing so.
For more information or to apply:
To learn more about becoming a volunteer club leader, please contact our Provincial Network Coordinator at email@example.com.
To apply for this position, please fill in a volunteer application form: https://goo.gl/uhRPuk.
References are required for this position.